We at TOLA realised that the world would be a better place if we focus on the foundation and equipping our future leaders. This is our main reason for incorporating the Montessori Philosophy into our pre-primary phase.
At TOLA pre-primary we offer a fully equipped Montessori classroom that allows the child to learn at his/her own pace with guidance.
Our aim is to help children:
- To know where to look and not what to look for.
- To grow in independence and confidence.
- To develop to their full academic potential.
- To respect their environment.
- To be socially and emotionally confident.
It is of the utmost importance to us that our environment is nurturing, peaceful, homely, fun, loving, interesting, educational and child friendly. This will allow the child to reveal their true nature and feel valued, through interaction with compassionate and well prepared adults.
The Montessori classroom provides a unique cycle of learning designed to take advantage of the child’s sensitive periods of learning which is between ages 3 – 6years. This is when the child is able to absorb information and knowledge from the prepared environment. It is easier for a child to develop a particular skill during these sensitive periods than at any other time in their life as they learn effortlessly during this important time in their lives.
The child is free to choose from a variety of activities and materials to satisfy their individual needs. The adult/directress in the environment would observe the needs and interests of each child individually. The adult/directress would then demonstrates the correct use of the material and carefully observe each child on a daily basis. Children are allowed to explore with the various materials in the classroom.
There are 6 main areas in the Montessori classroom.
- Activities of everyday living
- Knowledge and Understanding on the World
Our classrooms are equipped with The Montessori apparatus and can accommodate 24 children with a qualified Montessori Directress and assistant
What our day looks like:
- 7h30-8h00: Children start arriving at school
- 8h00-11h00: Three hour Montessori work cycle, which includes individual snack and circle time
- 12h00-12h30: Story time
- 12h30: Dismissal time for half day students
- 12h40-13h15: Lunch time
- 13h15-14h00: Quiet/Nap time
- 14h00: Dismissal for the rest of the students